NORTH BALTIMORE, OH— In 1919, the Grand Canyon was designated a national park, Bowling Green State University fielded a football team for the first time, and the village of North Baltimore opened a public library. One century later, all three institutions are still going strong.
To kick off its centennial year, the North Baltimore Public Library (NBPL) will host a public celebration in the library at 230 N. Main Street at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 10, 2019–exactly 100 years to the day after the library opened.
The event will include remarks by Randy Gardner, Chancellor of Higher Education for Ohio; North Baltimore Mayor Janet Goldner; NBPL Board President Rick Van Mooy; and NBPL Director Holly Emahiser Ryder. Additionally, there will be historical displays throughout the library, a performance by the NBHS Jazz Band, and cake and punch for guests.
The North Baltimore Public Library was founded on December 10, 1918, when a group of citizens met and decided to open a library in the village. By March 10, 1919, the group had received enough contributions of books and money to open the library at 113 E. Broadway in a room donated by J.A. Gibson, a local businessman. The library moved to the then-new North Baltimore school building in 1927, where it remained until moving into its current location in 1958. Since then, there have been three additions and the building is now 13,600 square feet.
On March 10, 1919, the library had 500 books, loaning out more than 200 the first week it was open. The NBPL now contains nearly 70,000 volumes, including books, e-books, periodicals, CDs and DVDs, and continues to enjoy strong support from North Baltimore and the surrounding communities. Nearly 50,000 visitors each year make it one of Ohio’s leading, small-town public libraries.
# # #
About the North Baltimore Public Library
The North Baltimore Public Library strives to serve the community’s needs for learning and entertainment through print and non-print media in an atmosphere both open and supportive of patrons’ information needs, and works to promote and encourage education among the children, teens and adults of North Baltimore. The Library opened in 1919 in a storefront at 113 E. Broadway. In 1927 it moved to the village’s new school at 124 S. Second Street, and in 1958 moved to a new library building at the present location at 230 N. Main Street. Additions were completed in 1962, 1979 and 1987. Today the library contains nearly 70,000 volumes in the 13,600 square feet building. For more information, visit https://nbpubliclibrary.org/.