100 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE REDEDICATION AND BLESSING OF THE CYGNET SACRED HEART CATHOLIC CHURCH BELL.
Cygnet’s Sacred Heart Church began in 1892 in a renovated abandoned sucker rod building from the Oil Boom Era. Sacred Heart was a mission parish of St. Augustine/OLMM Catholic Church in North Baltimore until the mission was closed in July 2001 and then combined with OLMM and renamed Holy Family.
The church bell was blessed on Labor Day, Sept 3rd, 1917 by Rev. W.S. Kress and Rev. John Barthelot. Fr. Kress was pastor for Bowling Green St. Aloysius and represented the Bishop of Toledo. Fr. Barthelot was the pastor of Sacred Heart. The bell was given the name JOHN in the foundry when it was cast.
The bell was donated to the church by the following parishioners: Thomas and Mary Dunn (Thomas was a retired oil field worker), H.P. and Anna Guthrie (H.P. was a self-employed contractor), W.M. and Mary Haley (W.M. was a telegraph operator), and E.H. and Anna Flahie (E.H. was an oil field gauger).
Following the closing of Sacred Heart, the bell was removed from the bell tower by: Rich Mathias, Tom & Doug Wickard, Bud Straley and Butch Krebs. The Sacred Heart Church building and property were purchased by Greg Grilliot in 2013.
The bell was stored in North Baltimore until it became the Eagle Scout project of Cody Gerdeman in 2015. It was then restored and placed on a concrete slab adjacent to the main entrance of Holy Family Church in June 2016.
The anniversary of the rededication and blessing of the bell will be held immediately following the 8:30 a. m. Mass on Sunday, Sept. 3rd, by the current pastor Rev. Arthur J. Niewiadomski.
Refreshments will be served after the rededication and blessing ceremony in the church basement.
All are invited to attend.