In 1916, we entered into the leather goods business, manufacturing horse collars, pads, and other saddle-related items. D.S. Brown continued in this business for many years, experimenting along the way with deerskin tanning and early automobile roofing materials.
The rubber extrusion business later turned to compression seals for the highway and bridge markets, which remain a key product for us today. Based on this involvement in the bridge and highway industry, we expanded our product lines throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s, becoming a leading supplier of structural bearings and expansion joint systems. In the late 1990’s, increased business led to D.S. Brown acquiring the former Lewis Engineering Company of Chaska, Minnesota
The D.S. Brown Company continues to invest in equipment to expand its manufacturing technology and reduce costs in a very competitive market. We are always striving to develop new and alternative products such as our Exodermic® Bridge Deck System and Deckguard® Spray Membrane.