Prom night is a rite of passage for many teens. It is a time to make memories with friends that will last a lifetime. Finding the perfect dress, the right date, and best after party is all a part of the process. Students may have the best intentions for a memorable evening, but prom night can sometimes lead to making poor decisions.
In fact, 90% of teens believe their peers are more likely to drink and drive on prom night. This can result in devastation and tragedy that may accompany drinking and driving.
Alcohol is involved in almost 1/3 of teenage car crash fatalities.
Safe Communities of Wood County is teaming up with local florist to educate tees about safe prom activities. When purchasing boutonnieres and corsages, students will receive a prom safety sticker. Our motto, “Don’t Tempt Fate, The Phone Can Wait. Be Safe. Buckle Up and Drive Sober,” will be depicted on each sticker.
Tips for Staying Safe & Sober on Prom Night:
- Be prepared to deal with the pressures that come with the territory
- Plan something fun and stick to the plan
- Be a leader to others around you
Tips for Parents to make sure your teen’s prom is memorable for all the right reasons:
- Have contact numbers handy
- Work with other parents
- Have a transportation plan
- Stay Connected
For More Information:
- Angel Burgos, Ohio State Highway Patrol: 419-352-2481
- Sandy Wiechman, Safe Communities Coordinator: 419-372-9353 or firstname.lastname@example.org