North Baltimore, Ohio

January 16, 2022 8:36 pm

419-581-9629

Leave a message with sports scores or news 24/7/365

Weekly Specials
Ol’ Jenny
Gerdeman Ins Jan 2016
Ortho Care Sports Injuries
3 panel GIF
March 2020
Oct. 2018 Update
Logo
Briar Hill Health Update

JOIN US AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS!

The Wood County Historical Center & Museum is pleased to offer elevator access throughout the museum as the Accessibility Project comes to a close. The museum opened as the Wood County Infirmary in 1869, and while it has
been maintained, has not received a modern update of this magnitude until this time.

The Accessibility Project included not only a service-grade elevator that opens from both the exterior as well as the interior of the building, but also four new handicap accessible restrooms, handicap parking, and bus access from County Home Road. The improvements will benefit visitors with mobility conflicts or strollers, group tours, and provide a safer way to move large and heavy Society artifacts.

The first elevator ride was honored to Felicia Konrad, who is a life member of the Historical Society, Accessibility Donor, and has a family legacy to Edwin Farmer, Infirmary Superintendent from 1878-1904. During Edwin¹s
tenure, his son was admitted to the Infirmary when he became confined to a wheelchair, and could not even share a room with his wife because her room was on the second floor. The story of Alfred and Amy Farmer is chronicled on
the museum¹s website at woodcountyhistory.org.

The nuisance of physical limitations reached its peak in the 1960s when the building was slated for closure in lieu of a new nursing home (Wood Haven). Since becoming a museum in 1975, studies and feedback from members and
visitors put accessibility as one of the site¹s biggest challenges.

To support the 1.2 million dollar project, the Historical Center was awarded $600,000 from the State of Ohio¹s capital funds as well as support from Wood County Commissioners Jim Carter, Doris Herringshaw, and Joel Kuhlman, State
Senator Randy Gardner, State Representative Tim Brown, Hancock Wood Electric Community Trust Fund, CSX Community Grant, and generous donations from community supporters.

The Collaborative, Inc. was the architectural firm on the project and Focht Construction Company served as the contractor.

The museum will re-open to the public on February 1, 2017 with new exhibits to highlight the impact of World War I on Wood County. All events detailed at www.woodcountyhistory.org. The museum is located at 13660 County Home
Road in Bowling Green.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NBX powered by PANDA Technologies
NBLS Website