The North Baltimore Local Schools Board of Education met last Tuesday to organize for 2017, and to take care of business for January. Board member Cheryl Cotterman was absent.
The first order of business was swearing in new district treasurer Steve Stewart. The oath of office was given to him by Tami Thomas.
Second, the Board re-elected Tami Thomas as President, and Jaimye Bushey as Vice-President for 2017.
The Board members voted to maintain their schedule of meeting the fourth Tuesday each month, at 6:00pm, at the NBHS/MS building. Exceptions to the schedule will be March 21 and December 19, which are the third Tuesdays of those months, due to Spring break and Christmas break.
Some highlights from the very brief meeting:
*Superintendent Delaney recognized the work of the Board, as January is Board Appreciation month. “The certified and classified staff are working really well together. Thank you to the Board,” said Delaney. Board President Thomas replied, “All I can say is, Thank you for doing your jobs (motioning to both principals, and Mr. Delaney)That makes it easy for us to do our job”
*The Board accepted a $100 donation from Findlay Meijer for the HS/MS Tiger Care and Share Pantry.
*Principal’s Report-Mr. Mark Lange
52% of our 3rd graders have tested”proficient” on the test known as the “Third Grade Guarantee” This test can be given three more times before the end of the year, if needed. North Baltimore’s Average Scaled Score -684 (52% proficient) ODE State Average Scaled Score-675 (37% proficient)
*Principal’s Report-Dr. Bob Falkenstein:
- It’s Winter Homecoming Week! We have several fun activities planned this week including our spirit days and pep assembly on Friday. The “Dudes” of the school will take on a staff team in volleyball. Our dance is after Saturday’s basketball game.
- Middle School Quiz Bowl starts this week.
- Also, our Middle School Spelling Bee is January 19. Winners will advance to the county competition.
- Our College Credit Plus parent meeting is Tuesday, January 24 at 7 pm. We are pleased to announce that we will offer college credit here in the building next year. In partnership with BGSU, we will offer GSW courses (General Studies Writing). Miss Lauer is currently earning the credential to teach them.
- Scheduling for next year will take place the last week of January. Kipplen and I will sit down and speak individually with all students in grades 7-11.
- Hunter Wymer took home a wrestling championship (182 lb) from the Woodmore Classic last weekend! In the finals match, he pinned his competitor in 39 seconds!
- Paws for a Cause is sponsoring a “Pennies for Patients” drive. Each of our 6 classes contributes with the winners receiving a pizza or Olive Garden lunch! Proceeds benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
The Board adjourned at 6:07 to move to Executive Session with no further action to be taken.