VILLAGE OF NORTH BALTIMORE
October 17, 2017
I. Pledge of Allegiance
Mayor Goldner called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM and led the Pledge of Allegiance.
II. Roll Call:
Mayor Janet Goldner-Here, Ty Carles-Here, Holly Emahiser/Ryder- Here, Art Patterson -Here, Rich Rose-Here, Leslee Thompson- Here, Richard Van Mooy-Here, Student Representative Dalton Teaford, Clerk Kathi Bucher- Here
III. Approval of the Minutes:
Motion by Mr. Van Mooy to approve the minutes of the October 3, 2017 meeting. Second by Mr. Patterson. All approved.
IV. Public Participation:
V. Letters and Communications:
VI. Administrative Reports:
First meeting in November, upcoming Legislation
Police Chief: No Reports were due
3) Halloween in the Village- Parade Saturday October 28. Different route, they will start at the Village Park, go down High Street to Main Street and end up at the Fire Hall.
4) Trick or Treat- October 31 from 6-7:30pm.
5) Main Street Corridor- Underground Utilities plan to begin work on October 23, 2017. The plan is to keep traffic flowing, replace the main street waterline as part of our revitalization.
6) Drainage issues at Eagleville and Deweyville Road- there has been communication with the engineer’s office. (see hand out) Estimate sheet (hand out) of cost. Discussion continued as to who should fix this problem. No record of who has the easement. The one who maintains the road should fix it. We maintain the road. Mr. Kuhlman added it is road tile, and that it should be maintained by the person maintaining the road. However, private property owners use it so could be a joint obligation. It needs fixed and you would hope that private owners would be willing to donate to get it fixed. Mr. Patterson asked what if something happens down the road in the individuals yard? Ms. Thompson agreed. Mr. Rose said we need to fix our part. Mr. Van Mooy then suggested to fix it and assess the people upstream. Mr. Kuhlman said it would have to be voluntarily. If no one donates, then it would have to go to the county engineer. Mr. Van Mooy mentioned that would take while if we go to the county. Ms. Goldner is wondering if the Township would help in any way since it is their residents we are talking about. Mr. Van Mooy said if we fix it, it gets better the residents benefit from it. Mr. Carles was wondering if we could get sued? Mr. Kuhlman asked him what is the increased harm? It isn’t working now.
Deweyville-Once again, who maintains the road? We do not. Mr. Van Mooy suggested we take care of Eagleville first. Let’s get three estimates
Mr. Carles made a motion to fix this problem inhouse. Second by Ms. Emahiser-Ryder. All approved.
Need more information, get with townships and discuss.
7) New employee Water/Sewer Department- fill the opening that was created when Don Lessig retired after 30 years.
Proposed motion- to extend an offer of employment to Mr. Josh May for the open position in the water/sewer department at a rate of $14.19 per hour.
Mr. Van Mooy made the motion to hire Josh May per form F19a at a rate of $14.19 per hour. Second by Mr. Patterson. All approved.
8) Safe Routes to School Engineering- Ordinance 2017-38 tonight for $20,000 to enter into a contract with Poggemeyer. There are state guidelines you need to follow.
Appointed Legal counsel: Nothing
VII. Standing Committees:
Economic and Community Development (Ms. Thompson)
Public Safety (Mr. Patterson)
Personnel, Policy and Ordinance Review (Mr. Rose)
Public Works (Mr. Carles)
Public Utilities (Mr. Van Mooy)
Finance and Technology (Ms. Emahiser)
Ms Thompson wanted to know when the cut off is for unnecessary spending for the year. Mr. Kirk to get her that information.
Mr. Van Mooy made a motion to add Ordinance 2017- 38 to section VIII. Second by Mr. Patterson. All approved.
VIII. New Legislation, Resolutions, Motions or Business
Mr. Van Mooy made a motion that ORDINANCE2017-38 be read by number and title only for its first reading, suspend the rules, dispense with the second and third readings and declare an emergency. Second by Mr. Patterson.
ORDINANCE 2017-38 read by number and title only by the mayor.
Mr. Van Mooy made a motion to adopt. Second by Mr. Patterson. All approved.
IX. Second Reading of Ordinances and Resolutions
X. Third Reading of Ordinances and Resolutions
Mr. Van Mooy made a motion that ORDINANCE 2017-37 be read by number and title only for the third reading. Second by Mr. Carles.
ORDINANCE 2017-37 read by number and title by the mayor.
ORDINANCE 2017-37 AN ORDINANCE ESTABLISHING SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS ACCOUNTS FOR FISCAL YEAR ENDING DECEMBER 31, 2017, PROVIDING EXPENDITURE OF WATER AND WASTEWATER OPERATING CARRYOVER
Mr. Van Mooy made a motion to adopt. Second by Mr. Patterson. Mr. Rose and Ms. Thompson voted no. Motion passed.
XI. Other New Business
Congratulations to Holly getting the job of North Baltimore Library Director.
XII. Other Old Business
XIII. Payment of the Bills
Mr. Van Mooy made a motion to put the bills totaling $ 145,968.74 on the Claims Ordinance. Second by Ms. Thompson. All approved.
Mr. Van Mooy made a motion to pay the bills totaling $ 145,968.74. Second by Mr. Patterson. All approved.
Madam Mayor made a motion to adjourn at 7:35 PM. Second by