As of January 1, 2019 the North Baltimore Public Library will be FINE FREE for all patrons! The Library Board voted to begin FINE FREE practices at their December meeting in part to thank the public for using the NB Library for 100 years! March 10, 2019 will be the actual date the Library celebrates it’s anniversary.
FINE FREE policies are being adopted by many local public libraries in our area including Wood County District Public Library, McComb Public Library and Weston Public Library. Here’s what Fine Free will mean at North Baltimore Library:
- Materials will continue to be checked out for 1 or 2 weeks at a time.
- As before, a print out with a due date will be received at check out.
- There will NOT be any fines for items returned after the due date.
- Library materials DO need to be returned. After 45 days, the computer will automatically switch the item to “Assumed lost” and the card will be billed for the cost to replace the item. When the item is returned and scanned in, the lost bill will be eliminated. Until the “assumed lost” item is returned, the library card may not be used to check out anything further or for computer privileges.
- If an item is lost or damaged, the replacement cost will still need to be payed.
Have fines from 2018 or before? Follow the guidelines below to have them erased!
- Bring in a non-perishable food item or paper goods (1 item per each dollar owed) to waive those fines. This will be limited to fines of overdue materials from the NB Library collection. Food will be donated to our local Food Pantry to be distributed in the community.
- Everyone has until March 9, 2019 to donate items at the Main Desk of the library and request staff to waive their fines.
The NB Library Board and Staff anticipate the new FINE FREE policy will allow better access to the Library collection and resources for all who use the Library! Happy New Year!!!