The NB Board of Education met for their regular February meeting last Tuesday.
It was sunny skies and good news reported across the district.
District Treasurer Steven Stewart gave positive news about the district’s finances. He said, “We’re on par with our account balances. We’ve spent money on a construction project and purchased 2 new buses since last year and we still have the same amount of money. I think this shows our plan is working.” He also reported this year’s property tax collections are up by $170,000 so far.
Superintendent Ryan Delaney reported about the status of upcoming winter sports tournament/competition participation, including wrestling, basketball and the NBHS Band.
Dr. Falkenstein’s Principal Report, February 26, 2019
The regional sheriff’s canine team did a drug sweep of our building last Friday. We are 100% free of drugs and paraphernalia. We did not even find a lighter.
We are working on a Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) program for next year with our middle school students. Teachers brought this idea to me, so we started investigating options. We have a team getting trained, and we may qualify for a grant through Wood County ESC to fund the program. Stay tuned!
Jonelle Semancik, Principal EA Powell Elementary, February 26, 2019
- In February we welcomed home Sgt. First Class Frazee. This embodied the Tiger spirit and once again showed what a supportive community we have here in North Baltimore.
- Our second round of parent/teacher conferences were a success. We are thankful for parents taking the time to meet with teachers forming a strong partnership to benefit students’ learning.
- Tis the season for MARCH (Reading) MADNESS! (A large bracket will be in the hallway)
- Starting March 4th students will vote for their favorite book for the match up of the day.
- The library has agreed to get copies of the books for teachers to share with the students.
- The winning grade level’s book will get a bookmark and an extra recess with the principal.
- Thursday March 21st is our Family Night (Maker’s Night) from 6-8pm.
- Preschool will be present
- Stations involving literacy
- Stations that students will use their imagination and create ☺
- Kindergarten Registration!
- Registration for all incoming kindergarten students who will be 5 on or before August 1, 2018 will begin on March 1, 2019. Registration should be completed by May 1, 2019 so parents can participate in several important events before school starts. The following documents will need to be submitted at the Board Office:
- official birth certificate
- two (2) proofs of residency
- original social security card
- complete immunization records
- custody paperwork (if applicable)
- parent driver’s license or state-issued I.D. card
Other news from the meeting:
- Accepted an intent to retire letter from Michael Csortos, Technology Director, at the end of the school year
- Approved several supplemental contracts for the 2019-2020 school year
- Approved Mike Trout as a substitute bus driver
- Approved an agreement with Newlove Realty to assist with the sale of the property at 124 S. Second Street at a cost of $65,000 for the proposed property.
- Accepted a donation from Continental Structural Plastics for $1000 towards unpaid lunch fees as deemed appropriate.
- Approved the transfer of $1,400,000 from the general fund to the Star Ohio Investment Account. This is a government protected account.
- The Board moved to Executive Session at 6:45 pm with no action expected