COLUMBUS, OHIO (Aug., 2018) – The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio last week approved a plan to implement the new 326 area code. The 326 area code will overlay the existing 937 area code, which is expected to run out of available phone numbers in 2020.
The North American Numbering Plan Administrator (NANPA) has identified a plan with the PUCO to implement the new area code. Mandatory 10 or 11-digit dialing for all local calls will begin on Feb. 8, 2020, and the new 326 area code will take effect on March 8, 2020.
Important facts about the area code overlay:
- Current telephone numbers, including area codes will not change.
- Feb. 11, 2019, telecommunications providers will begin customer education.
- Beginning Aug. 10, 2019, customers are encouraged to begin 10 or 11-digit dialing for all local calls so that it is second nature when it becomes necessary on Feb. 8, 2020 to dial all 10 or 11-digits to make local calls.
- Feb. 8, 2020, customers in the 937 area code will be required to dial 10 or 11- digit phone numbers for all local calls.
- Calls currently considered local calls will remain local calls. Calls between 937 and 326 are local calls.
- Long distance calling will not change.
- 911 and other three digit numbers (211, 311, 411, 811, etc.), if available in the local community, will not change.
- Customers should begin or continue to identify their phone number with the area code.
- Customers are encouraged to update any saved contacts, speed dials, business cards, personal checks, preprogrammed alarm devices, etc. to include the area code + telephone number format.
- March 8, 2020, the new 326 area code takes effect.
Additional information regarding area code exhaust and maps of Ohio’s area code boundaries can be found on the PUCO website.
A copy of last week’s Commission finding and order is available on the PUCO’s website at www.PUCO.ohio.gov, click on the link to Docketing Information System and enter the case number 17-2329-TP-COI.