PUCO awards nine hazardous materials
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) today approved nine hazardous materials training grants totaling $800,000.
Through the PUCO’s annual hazardous materials training grant program, public safety and emergency services personnel across Ohio are awarded grants for training to best respond to incidents related to hazardous materials. These grants are awarded to local government subdivisions, educational institutions and state agencies in Ohio.
The PUCO awarded the following grants:
- Chagrin/Southeast Council of Governments – $10,000 to support the 2019 Ohio Hazmat Teams Conference
- Cincinnati State Technical and Community College – $210,520 to conduct three hazardous materials training courses
- City of Toledo, Division of Environmental Studies – $26,335 to conduct three hazardous materials training courses
- Fort Loramie Community Fire Company – $6,350 to conduct a hazardous materials training course
- Hamilton County LEPC – $8,299 to conduct a Tank Truck Emergency Response Workshop
- Huron County Emergency Management Agency – $13,000 to conduct four hazardous materials training courses
- Payne Fire Department – $6,344 to conduct two hazardous materials training courses
- The University of Findlay – $119,152 to conduct two hazardous materials training courses
- Cleveland State University – $400,000 to conduct 17 hazardous materials training courses
Money for these grants comes from fines paid by hazardous material carriers and shippers. Per Ohio Revised Code, Cleveland State University receives 50% of the fund for its public safety and emergency services training courses. The remaining funds are awarded based on individual applications.
The PUCO has regulatory authority to conduct audits, inspections and safety reviews to evaluate safety records, policies and procedures of motor carriers, including hazardous materials carriers. For more information about the PUCO’s hazardous materials planning and training grants program, please visit the motor carrier section of www.PUCO.ohio.gov.