TOLEDO, Ohio, Sept. 12, 2017 – On Saturday, September 23, area golfers will hit the course at Bedford Hills Golf Club to spend the day enjoying one of their favorite hobbies and participating in a friendly competition. This morning, however, will have much more significance than a typical day on the greens because these golfers will be participating in the “Putts Fur Mutts” Golf Outing and Putt Putt Event to benefit the Puppy Rescue Mission.
Event Co-Chair Jill Borkowski says “I have great respect for our brave military men and women. They make so many sacrifices to serve our country, but no soldier should ever be faced with the decision to leave a beloved stray animal behind in a war zone or other impoverished country.”
Borkowski goes on to say “I think about the lives our adopted pets have lived and wish a safe, spoiled, carefree life for all dogs and cats. Our dogs Belle and Bailey and our cat Oreo all passed within the last three years; I cannot think of a better way to honor them than to help give animals in war zones a loving, forever home with the US soldiers who bond with and rescue them.”
TSgt Sean McGrew and his dog Sandy Paws, Travis Huelsebusch and his dog Sky Weasel, and Lauren and Ray Knight and their dog King will be honored guests at the event. TSgt Sean McGrew saved Sandy Paws during his deployment to Kuwait, Travis Huelsebusch rescued Sky Weasel while working as a government contractor in Africa, and the Knight family adopted King after he was left abandoned and tied to a pole in Afghanistan with a severed tail and ears.
The “Putts Fur Mutts” event will include 18 holes of golf with cart and range balls at 8 am (with prizes for the top three golf teams) or Putt Putt at 10 am. Attendees will enjoy donuts, Panera Bread bagels with cream cheese and Biggby Coffee at registration. The cost for golf is $90/individual; teams and individuals are welcome. The cost for Putt Putt is $25/person; children are welcome.
The event will also include golf contests, a 50/50 raffle, a dessert bar for humans, a desert bar for dogs (so guests can take “doggie bags” home; no dogs at the event, please!) and more. New this year is the Best Buy “Tail” Gate area with two big screen TVs showingfootball courtesy of the Spring Meadows Best Buy store in Holland OH, plus corn hole and yard Yahtzee for attendees to enjoy while waiting for lunch. Golfers and Putt Putt players will meet-up for a meal from Outback Steakhouse Toledo and a silent auction.
Some of the auction items will include:
· A 4 day/3 night stay in the Royal Towers at Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas
· A Zamboni ride at a Toledo Walleye game
· The chance to watch batting practice on the field prior to a Cleveland Indians home game
· A “trip to Orlando” including two nights at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, passes to SeaWorld Orlando and Aquatica Orlando, Walt Disney World Park Hopper passes and golf
· The chance to watch batting practice on the field prior to a Boston Red Sox home game, a tour of Fenway Park and a one night stay at the Kimpton Onyx Hotel
· Baseball tickets with hotel stays (Cincinnati Reds, Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals, Philadelphia Phillies)
· An American flag previously flown over the US Capitol
· University of Toledo football and BGSU football tickets
· A two night stay at the Sheraton Sand Key on the Gulf of Mexico in Clearwater, Florida
· The chance to throw out the first pitch at a Toledo Mud Hens game
· Autographed sports memorabilia and much more!
To register or inquire about hole sponsorships, please contact Co-Chair Jill Borkowski at 419-367-6828 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The registration form, a full list of auction items and regular updates are available at www.facebook.com/puttsfurmutts.
Generous supporters like the LaQuinta Inn in Perrysburg OH, Mark Feldstein & Associates, and Paws & Remember of Northwest Ohio help underwrite the expenses associated with the event or donate services so that all of the proceeds go directly to the Puppy Rescue Mission to help military members bring their battle buddies home.
The net proceeds from the “Putts Fur Mutts” event will be donated to the Puppy Rescue Mission. The non-profit Puppy Rescue Mission handles soldiers’ requests, logistics, transport and cost – like veterinary care, travel, crates and other supplies – for stray dogs and cats of war cared for, bonded with and adopted by US soldiers. The Puppy Rescue Mission also established Neda’s Fund to help in the event that a soldier needs financial assistance with surgery or emergency veterinary care at any point during the animal’s life, and the organization handles re-homing if the soldier cannot keep the animal. The group also participates in multiple rescue events in the USA each year like abuse cases and animal hoarding situations.