(Family Features) Introducing a feline into the family can be an exciting time, but it’s important to remember that a new home is often a big change for a little cat. Whether it’s a kitten or an adult cat, providing your new pet with proper nutrition, the comforts of a good home and engaging playtime are just a few of the key things to keep in mind.
Try these simple tips from the experts at the TEMPTATIONS™ brand to help ensure a smooth transition for your new four-legged family member.
- Cat-Proof the House – In addition to being constantly curious, cats are also instinctive climbers, meaning no surface is out of reach for your new pet. Make sure any potentially dangerous items – such as wires, cleaning supplies and sharp objects – are behind closed doors and inaccessible to your little climber. You can also provide a scratching post to help prevent your cat from scratching unwanted things, like your furniture.
- Playtime is a Must – As little as 15-30 minutes of exercise and activity per day can help your cat stay energetic and in shape. Encourage your cat’s natural curiosity with engaging toys, such as the TEMPTATIONS™ SNACKY MOUSE™ Toy. Simply fill the mouse-shaped wobble toy with your cat’s favorite TEMPTATIONS treats and watch them entertain themselves by trying to knock the treats out of the toy and gobble them up. Playing together can also help strengthen the bond between owner and pet.
- Create Some Comfort – Make your new friend truly feel like part of the family by giving him or her a personal spot in the house. A simple bed to call his own, a cat tree to view his new surroundings and some soft toys to play with are all it takes to provide the initial comfort to make your pet feel safe and welcome in a new home. For cats that prefer privacy when they’re not playing, a covered or hooded bed is a great option.
- Fuel Your Feline – Taking care of your cat’s health starts with proper nutrition. Be sure to find a high-quality cat food that has recipes that are nutritionally tailored to meet the specialized needs of your cat. A brand like IAMS™ Cat Food fits that bill and has dry and wet cat food options for all stages of life, from kitten to senior, as well as options to aid in oral care, hairball care, high protein, digestion and metabolism.
- Offer Affection – Always remember to show your cat you care. Whether it’s a scratch behind the ear, a nice brushing or a sweet cuddle session, your cat can feel loved and safe, knowing he or she is in good, caring hands.
For more tips on taking care of a new kitten or cat, visit TemptationsTreats.com.