Wood County Safe Communities announced recently that there have been five fatal crashes in Wood County for the calendar year 2017, compared to three for the same time frame in 2016.
St. Patrick’s Day has become one of the nation’s most popular times to celebrate and party. Unfortunately, too many people are taking to the roads after drinking alcohol, making this holiday also one of the most dangerous. In fact, 30 people were killed in drunk driving crashes across the nation during the St. Patrick’s Day holiday period (March 16-18) in 2015. To keep the roads safer, WCSC is reaching out with an important life-saving message and warning: Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving.
Safe Communities is teaming up with local businesses and organizations for the annual Swallow Your Pride, Call for a Ride event. The coalition is offering free rides to those who are unable to drive. Don’t wait until you’ve already been drinking to make your transportation decision. There’s no such thing as being “OK to Drive.” Just one or two drinks can impair judgment and increase the risk of getting arrested or causing a crash; killing yourself or someone else if you get behind the wheel. If you find yourself unable to drive this St. Patrick’s Day, call 419-823-7765 for a FREE ride home anywhere in Bowling Green. Remember: Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving.
If you plan to celebrate with alcohol this St. Patrick’s Day, follow these tips to stay safer:
- Before celebrating Patrick’s Day, decide whether you’ll drink or you’ll drive. You can’t do both.
- If you’re planning on driving, commit to staying If you’ve been out drinking and then get behind the wheel, you run the risk of causing a crash or getting arrested for a DUI.
- Help those around you be responsible, Walking while intoxicated can be deadly, as lack of attention could put you at risk of getting hit by a vehicle.
- If someone you know is drinking, do not let him or her get behind the
- If you see someone who appears to be driving drunk, pull over to a safe location and call the Your actions could help save a life.
Remember this St. Patrick’s Day: Plan Before You Party! Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving.