LIMA (Dec. 18, 2017) – The following impacts to traffic related to the reconstruction and widening of Interstate 75 through Findlay and Hancock County are occurring or scheduled to occur in the coming weeks:
Dates to Note: (Dates reflect a one-day delay due to weather from the original schedule.)
Dec. 18 – Traffic will be affected overnight in the southbound direction during preparations for removal of contraflow lane, all Findlay exits closed (details below).
Dec. 20 – The entrance ramp from county Road 99 to I-75 southbound will be closed overnight (details below).
Dec. 21 – Contraflow lane on I-75 southbound removed (details below).
Interstate 75 both northbound and southbound from south of the U.S. 68/state Route 15 interchange to county Road 313 (Lima Avenue) will be reduced to one lane in each direction during the week of December 18 for excavation work in preparation for new pavement construction.
- The restriction will be in place from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. each night.
- Two lanes in each direction on Interstate 75 are maintained during daytime hours.
The Interstate 75 northbound lanes from the U.S. 68/state Route 15 interchange to county Road 99 have been shifted to the right onto the outside shoulder.
- Two lanes of traffic are maintained during daytime hours. Some nighttime lane closures will continue.
- The legal speed through the work zone is reduced when workers are present.
- Speed limits are displayed via electronic message boards which display the legal, posted speed through the zone.
On Monday, Dec. 18, the far right I-75 southbound lane from just south of the U.S. 68/state Route 15 interchange to county Road 99 will be closed during preparations for the removal of the contraflow lane and to place traffic into its winter pattern.
The contraflow lane is the one lane of southbound traffic currently traveling on the northbound side of the interstate separated by barrier wall.
· The lane closure will be in place from approximately midnight on Monday, Dec. 18 until 5 a.m. the following day during moving of barrier wall and placement of pavement markings.
· All Findlay exits from I-75 in the southbound direction will not be accessible during this time. All exits will be accessible from I-75 northbound.
On Wednesday, Dec. 20 the entrance ramp from county Road 99 to I-75 southbound will be closed for storage of equipment needed in the traffic switch.
· The ramp will close at midnight on Wednesday, Dec. 20 and remain closed until approximately 5 a.m. the following day.
· Traffic during this time will be detoured north on I-75 to the state Route 613 interchange back to I-75 southbound.
· The I-75 southbound exit ramp to county Road 99 will remain open.
On Thursday, Dec. 21 the contraflow traffic pattern on I-75 southbound will be removed for the winter.
· Once the contraflow lane has been removed, all I-75 southbound traffic from U.S. 224 to county Road 99 will be traveling on the southbound side of the interstate on new pavement.
· Where possible, barrier wall will be removed for the winter or at least moved away from traffic as far as possible to accommodate snow removal.
· The contraflow traffic pattern will remain in place through the winter on I-75 southbound from the U.S. 68/state Route 15 interchange to the south end of the project, which is generally Harrison Street.
U.S. 68/State Route 15 Interchange with Interstate 75
The exit ramp from I-75 northbound to U.S. 68/state Route 15 (exit 156) closed June 19 for approximately three years.
- Traffic is detoured north to the state Route 12 interchange to Interstate 75 southbound back to U.S. 68/state Route 15. (see map)
The exit ramp from I-75 northbound to U.S. 68/state Route 15 remains open.
State Route 12 interchange with Interstate 75
- All exits at the state Route 12 interchange are currently open with the exception of overnight closure noted above.
U.S. 224 interchange with Interstate 75
- All ramps at the U.S. 224 interchange are currently open with the exception of the overnight closure noted above.
County Road 99
- All ramps at the county Road 99 interchange are currently open with the exception of overnight closure noted above.
River Road and Howard Street
- River Road and Howard Street, north and south of the Blanchard River beneath Interstate 75, are closed periodically as needed through late fall during reconstruction of the bridge carrying Interstate 75 over the Blanchard River.
- Access to all residences and businesses will be maintained.
Harrison Street over Interstate 75
- Harrison Street over Interstate 75 closed May 15 for approximately nine months for reconstruction. Traffic on Interstate 75 in the area of Harrison Street will be restricted to one lane at times for work related to the reconstruction of the bridge.
- Placement of the concrete deck on the bridge is complete.
- Access to the Oakwoods Nature Preserve during the closure of the Harrison Street overpass will be available at all times during construction by accessing county Road 144 from the north via Sandusky Street.
- By contract, the bridge is scheduled to be closed until March 2018 but could potentially be open by the end of the year.
Service road construction
Construction of a service road off Lima Avenue connecting to Lake Cascades north of the U.S. 68/state Route 15 interchange is under way.
- The vast majority of the construction is complete.
- Final tie-in to Lima Avenue will occur in the third and final year of construction in 2020.
Noise wall construction
Construction of noise walls is under way.
- Construction of the foundations for the wall has begun in the south end of the project area on the east side of the interstate near Harrison Street and is proceeding to the north.
- Noise wall posts and panels are scheduled to be set after the holiday season, weather dependent. Foundation drilling will also continue.
- Construction of all noise walls is expected to be completed in July 2018.
About the Hancock I-75 project:
Interstate 75 will be reconstructed and widened beginning just south of Harrison Street/County Road 144, which is just south of the U.S. Route 68/state Route 15 interchange, to the county Road 99 interchange, Findlay, Hancock County. The project will reconstruct approximately five miles of the existing four lanes of Interstate 75, construct an additional lane of travel in each direction, replace all mainline bridges on I-75, replace the Harrison Street overpass, redesign and reconstruct the interchange between U.S. 68/state Route 15 and Interstate 75, and redesign and reconstruct the interchange with U.S. 68/state Route 15 at Lima Avenue. The project also includes the construction of noise walls at particular locations. Expected completion is May 2020. Beaver Excavating, Canton, serves as the general contractor.
Project information may be found at: http://tinyurl.com/hancock75